January 7, 2016

Closer to Christ

Hola mi familia 

I went on a Spanish slip yesterday and I failed. I was honestly amazed I went though lessons without understanding a sliver. nothing! But we got fed the yummiest food! 

Let's see. This week the city got COLD. Finally, winter has come and I've been doubling up on everything!! 

As I have focused my studies more on the Restoration this week I have seen how each time we teach, Heavenly Father brings an increase of ability to teach it more clearly and understanding to my mind and to others. I love how God prepares people overtime with understanding when they really do pray, study, keep the commandments. We taught the Restoration to Marie-France again and this time things just clicked more for her after 6 months. 
Marie-France is amazing. She is from Haiti (like so many others here) and she is a happy and sassy woman. I love her. Her son Jivvy is the only one who comes to church with her right now. She stopped taking lessons for a while, but now wants us to actually come to her apartment. She also has been translating French for the YSA sisters. Another great thing is we have been trying to get this dad, Troy and son, Troy to come to church. (They remind me of the dad and son in pursuit of happiness. The mom left and Troy always takes Troy Jr to ChuckECheese.) :) they are sweet. They have come to church now 2 weeks in a row and enjoy it!! 

We had an APF where we asked everyone their New Years goals and "How will you come closer to Christ this year!" 

The bishop in this Ward is so awesome, younger man. He is so compassionate and Christ-like. He had us for dinner this week. They have almost 5 kids and live in this tiny little apartment. 
Talk about LOVE.

A couple things from this week that made us LOL.  We were warned by a true harlemite how God is justice and that we better be careful what we are teaching because she doesn't want us to turn into old ladies and say to her I told you Betty. She was pretty positive we worshiped Mormon. Another thing. One second I was with sister Sam right behind her hoping on the subway, next thing I know it she is on the subway I am not and doors CLOSE. Through the glass we looked at each other without being frantic and just laughed. Ahh it was awful and I was ALONE!!! I felt super uncomfortable being alone. Of course I said a prayer in my heart after waiting a while for the next one to come and the first person on that subway was an investigator name Vinny who looked at me very confused. Hahaha! Thankfully, he kept me company until I was back with Sister Sam. 

This has been my personal favorite scripture this week. Helaman 5:12-- So many things pulling for our attention. How can we stay focussed, pure, and happy without our Savior to look to every day. We have to build our foundation on Christ if we want to come out with strength and confidence in this crazy world we live in. One thing we can count on are our own mists of darkness. The points and moments I have felt darkness or sadness here I have been able to see the strength and depth of my testimony of Jesus Christ and the gospel. It only gets stronger when they come. That is what a mission has definitely done for me. I so am grateful for the Atonement!! I am grateful for daily repentance. For the chance to feel The power of Gods love in the moments I feel are the hardest. << 12 And now, my sons (daughter :) ), remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.>> 

There is someone really special coming to our mission this weekend. I will share more next week. I feel so privileged to be serving here at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment