January 14, 2016

Happy Holland Day!






What a special week in the New York New York north mission. I love my
mission. I love being in New York. It has it's difficult things, but
everywhere does, that's life! It's loud and there are so many people
it's difficult for me to open my mouth sometimes, but it is so cool to
step out of the temple grounds or walk down Lenox and MILLIONS!!! (7
millions I think) all need truth and light! I understand more every
day why missions are hard and take all your heart, might, mind, and
strength. Elder Holland said it perfectly!!
"What we obtain too easily we esteem too lightly."
"Why is it suppose to be easier for us than it was for Him,
Jesus Christ."

We had a special opportunity to have an apostle of God come talk to
only us this past week in the Lincoln Sq. Building. For me it was cool
to step off the 65th Station and see missionaries everywhere rushing
in with prepared hearts and minds!! I sat on the front row by Sister
Sam, Savannah, and Lauren and could see eye to eye Elder Holland
speaking of such sacred and eternal truths!! The room was so reverent.
he shook each of our hands because he could then see how we are doing.
Many things were said I could share, but I will share only some of the
things that were meaningful for me.

He spoke about how this is the last & final dispensation. The most
important work in the universe is the salvation of a human soul. He
talked about visions and knowing who we are. How we can NEVER GO BACK!
no matter how good things were, we believe in eternal progression.
What has stuck with me so much is how much love he just expressed to
us. Out of all the things, he said that the mot important thing he
would say is how "I do love you." How much he appreciates us for being
here.
I think that is exactly what Christ would say if he were here to teach us.
What was personal to me is when he talked about how those that love us
back home are praying their hearts out over us. How we have those
kinds of people. And I DO have those kinds of people. I have an
incredible family and a support group back who no matter what are
praying and thinking of me. That gives me so much strength knowing
that.. you all have no idea.
So "YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to damage the image of a missionary!"
Mission changed. So many things!!! The feelings are hard to describe
in an email home.

I don't know what would have made my week any better than that! It was
a really awesome week for the work in Harlem. We were really busy
running from one thing to another.  I felt like we did so much
walking. My legs always hurts. Haha I feel like I'm still dancing
again but then I'm so inflexible it's amazing.. I did teach my
roommates how to do ballet this week. Almost graceful!

We found quiet a few people this week by our efforts to find and look
people up. I am convinced that when we plan somewhere to be and we
tell the lord there is always a reason why we are there. We looked up
a media referral where we actually came back at a later time and the
door next to her was a man who came out and asked us if we are from
Utah. He lived in Provo and went to UVU! He said he will come to
church. Things like that always happen!

We also had an awful experience this week when the spirit was not with
us. There is this woman who wanted to have an appointment with us who
has a really strong personality. As we sat down all she wanted to do
was show us her homework for bible study. We weren't able to share
anything nor could we without the spirit in the room then she goes and
turns on Son of God and practically forces us to watch parts of this
movie. We had to tell her we needed to go.
Something I love is how the spirit is so much stronger in what the
church puts out and not in what the world creates. It was amazing to
me how so clearly I can feel if certain people carry with them the
spirit. The spirit does not dwell in unholy places!!

I will be training a new missionary next transfer here in Harlem. What
a huge responsibility and an opportunity to stretch and love and work
hard,,, like STRETCH A LOT, and a lot!!!!

Thank you again for "praying your hearts out" for me. I am doing the
same for each of you. I love you all. I know this gospel is true and
life is not easy but it's so good and worth it to follow our Savior.

Love, Kell
Sister Vassau

No comments:

Post a Comment