October 28, 2015

Goodbye Sister Eastman and Hello Sister Hislop!

Let's see. The highlight of this week was our Ward Halloween party. We helped the YW set up and this Ward knows how to throw an awesome party. Decorations were so cute. This was so great because the Garcia family came! Also, a couple other friends of members were there and we were able to get their numbers. One was being taught by sisters in another area and moved to this area. 

We found a woman living in Scarsdale interested in the Book of Mormon this week. That was a little miracle because knocking doors in Scarsdale is hard. Not many are interested. Sometimes I laugh remembering before I got my mission call wanting to go somewhere poor & humble (maybe like India where I love) then I'm walking down streets with the most expensive real estate eva and I think how Heavenly Father really has a reason for where he sends us & a good sense of humor i think. I guess there are both ends of the spectrum here! 

We had a media referral who we called and gave the Book of Mormon to and he had some questions for us. Does God have a plan? Is it a perfect plan? He is from France so that was so cool!! 

Sunday we helped knit and we sat with the Primary kids on the stage while they practiced for their primary program. This is silly, but that was such a highlight for me!! As the kids were wiggly and wouldn't stay still, some screaming the songs, I felt the spirit so much!! I LOVE PRIMARY SONGS. They are so simple and they are so true. Why did I never listen when I sung them once upon a time. Children are so pure and just hearing them sing "This is my testimony that HE LIVES- Jesus Christ, and He loves us," made my testimony grow. We've been singing it all week. Haha 

On my fridge was a quote for a long time that my mom had up. I read it again this week and feel that is exactly how I feel about the abundance of blessings that come from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We shared it with a few members. "Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life" so I'm going to relate my life or missionary service to this reeeeal quick... As I have served people here in New York I HAVE felt a deep joy for what I am sharing- The Gospel! It comes when I study it (read the Book or MORMON) then GO out and share it on door steps. My perspective on many things/ my vision for my life is changing/ has changed already! I know more of who I want to be & who my Heavenly Father wants me to be. This one is a good one... Because I feel like I'm suuuper slow at times.... Haha like my memory is HORRIBLE, but I'm asking Heavenly Father to help me remember things so I can teach better and I have seen he does help.. Missionary service is hard WORK. Waking up early and going all day is tiring but I have felt extra energy to do what I need here. My spirits have been lifted and I have been comforted as I've focused on my Savior, blessings do come each day (although, sometimes it's easier to see the challenges in each day.) I feel like the people here are my friends. I feel that the opportunity I have to meet such kind and loving people is a privilege and I know everyone can benefit from the blessings of giving ourselves more to God everyday and asking "what more can I do?" The blessings are Ours, He asks us that we only do our part and Keep the Commandments. 

Now I know you might be wondering who is coming to Scarsdale? I will be getting Sister Hislop who came out from the MTC with me, she is so sweet. She has been in Manhattan so I'm excited for her to come here, because this is the best place you could be right now! I think it will be really awesome because we are both at the same point on this mission journey. Well really, I feel like I just got here.. It will be so good. I always get anxious, but this scripture has really brought me peace. --- Alma 26: 7 But behold, they(I am) are in the hands of the Lord of the harvest, and they are his; and he will raise them up at the last day. My companion reminded me that This is the Lord's work & he can do this work on his own. He knows His children and who Sister Vassau and Sister Hislop need to meet. All he asks is we have a willing heart and are His hands to do His work. I love her, my heart is a little broken but all is well! 

What else? We got our flu shots this week and then we both got sick/ ache... One day we went to the office building and President told us to "come on!!" He was taking us to lunch! Ha ha "Are you sure President?" He talked to us about how he started his career and to get things done in life! 
 Another thing I feel like writing because boy are my letters random.  Prayer is so good. Make sure to take 5 minutes every morning to communicate with Heavenly Father. Sit for a while and collect your thoughts and feelings and then check in with Him. How deeply involved in your prayers are you? I have found that I have had some really amazing prayers this week by putting in more effort. Prayer is a work! That's my invitation :) 

Okay I love you guys, 

Sister McKell Vassau



No comments:

Post a Comment