December 16, 2015

So Many Children of God






So many thoughts going through my mind walking down the streets of Harlem.. Hahaha 
I would share, but there are too many. I will break it down to one thought.. 

All are Children of God and that is all that matters. 

Everything about Harlem yells unique. This great land of project buildings and African hair shops is filled with personality. There is never a dull moment, like ever!!!!! Hahaha I love it!

So my first night here we just walked out of our apartment through a bunch of these buildings and I saw this really crazy cloud that was moving super quickly but it wasn't a cloud it was smoke.... Cute sister Sam taps on this woman's shoulder and asks her if that smoke is suppose to be coming out of that building like that. The lady said, OH NO. sister Sam then calls 911 on this huge fire happening on the top of this building. I was just thinking where am I? Hahaha 

We taught a really sweet humble man from Burkina Faso who was the pizza man. He speaks French and his English is actually awesome. "He kept saying I'm so grateful for you guys. I'm just so proud of you guys." He also said he would do whatever it takes, he just wants God in his life. He will have to be taught by the YSA Sisters now. 

The Harlem 1st Ward consists of younger couples that have 1.5 kids and are either from Utah and just here temporarily or are here for work/interns so there's not too many families here to stay. Then there's the Harlem born members. They are great. There are so many awesome people and families! 

I feel I am needed here for many reasons in this area and that feels really great. I feel like having more chances to teach because there is so much work will be really good. Teaching with sister Sam is so good. This companionship is so good!!! We teach well together and I feel we are able to bring the spirit strongly in our lessons so far. I have already been introduced to some real life heavy problems. Harlem is a really special place with special challenges and blessings. 

Someone we are working with is Sandra and her family. She is really struggling right now and facing really hard things. We do know that when hard things happen and when we have temptations we can become more humble, more able to recognize our dependence on God. 
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27 (my favorite verse :))  
She is incredible and with faith she will be able to rise above what the world (or ny is telling her is okay). Seeing the way kids are being taught here amazes me. I have been so truly blessed to have been brought up in the circumstances I have with loving parents, good friends & family, and especially great leaders.. Wow wow wow. 

I & Harlem. I & the gospel! It is so true!!!!! 

Have a Merry Christmas. Do something for the Savior today! 
He can and will fill our hearts with peace, hope, and joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment