December 25, 2015

Peace is Born



Christmas in Harlem, Yay! 



Christmas time here has been wonderful, so special! I will always remember this one. It could be my favorite one looking back. I am finding loads of joy from Christ-like service. I feel if Christ were here he would be doing similar things I am able to do, which reminds me of this quote we were given this week..... "YOU ARE THE SAVIOR'S HANDS" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
"When I think of the Savior, I often picture Him with hands outstretched, reaching out to comfort, heal, bless, and love. He loved the humble and the meek and walked among them, ministering to them and offering hope and salvation. This is what He would be doing if he were living among us today. It is what we should be doing as His disciples and members of The Chirch of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  

As we extend our hands and hearts toward others in Christlike love, something wonderful happens to us. Our own spirit grows stronger. We become happier, more peaceful, and more open to the whispering a of the Holy Spirit."  

Walking with the many humble and meek! I have seen so many tender mercies in the past two days it's insane. There is so much goodness that comes from sharing the gospel in Harlem

 For an APF we set up a tv inside our church on the corner of 128th & Lenox which played "A Savior is Born" (reminds me of the beautiful kids in Harlem), served hot chocolate, and gave out wrapped Book of Mormons, 1,0000 cards, ect. Even President came out for a little to do it with us. It was great! It was actually pretty successful. We did it by the city college earlier in the week, as well. We have been able to talk to so many people!! Our goal as a mission is to find 1,000 new investigators by the end of the year and to really push the initiative. On Sunday we walked down the streets of Harlem stopping people and showing them the video. We talked to about 10 people and found 4 new investigators. Haha it was crazy. We have seen a huge amount of miracles in our area from it. 

My favorite was walking home the other night.. We saw this tall boy who looked cool 
So we sped up to him and I asked him if he would watch this video. He said he would as he walked and then as I showed him I dropped all my cards... Hah OPS..!! He had to stop to watch it:):) 

We have also been singing hymns on subways. (Still small voice is still present on subways/ loud cities) although, it is much harder sometimes for me to feel it and recognize than before. Living in a distracting place can be hard. The spirit comes so quickly through hymns. Sister Sam studies music so her voice in angelic!!! My goodness!! The Christmas Devotional was the most powerful & beautiful thing ever and she helped put it together. 

Other thing. I finished the Book of Mormon this week. My goodness. I know it's true. 
I know because It hit me as a subtle feeling of peace. No man could have written it but one who was inspired of God. 

I know my Savior more personally by being his hands and mouth this season. This time to be with Him and serve him is no time I would replace. 
I am grateful he was born!!! 
I am so excited to see you via Skype! 
Christmas plans-- Skype I think around 1:00. Hopefully we will be back by then. We will be going to have a breakfast with the bishop who works in the Empire State Building. Seeing my family will be such a treat for me. Get ready!!!!
I love you all!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!! 

Sister Vassau 

No comments:

Post a Comment