July 8, 2015

Week of the Yankees

Hello hello!! It's pretty crazy that I've been out here for a month this week. What a month. What a week. Everyday I have a moment where I'm like, "I can't believe I'm here as a missionary!" It's so great being able to stop and think about my calling and how Important it really is. How everything I do is what Christ would do or say. Every person I meet I should be looking at the way God would see them. A scripture I read this week hit me hard about how God knows and loves each of us:

Alma 26: 37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen

How great is it that we have so much to have joy about because we are loved beyond measure!! Just a thought about the peps here in NY. They are great and each so different with so many different backgrounds. I even met the sweetest man this week from India who is going back soon (don't get me started on India). Knowing a glimpse about his life back home just makes me instantly love him. We talked about India & service a little. I love their culture so much. 

The family we are mainly teaching right now is one that the missionaries have been teaching for a while. They are the coolest. They're a family of four and everyone in the ward knows and loves them, especially all the missionaries. Miguel got baptized before I came and the others are on that track, The dad just has some challenges, but is an amazing man. I hope I will be here for it, because it will happen!! Miguel is going to LDS BC this fall so whoever is there has to look out for him. Also, Sita Sham is a woman who is probably the first on my mission I have felt this great love for. I will have to tell you more about her because she made me about cry the other day as she talked about the pain she is going through and it just made me realize everyone is fighting their own inner battles and this woman has so much strength!! These battles can only be won with God because Satan is real and his followers are all around us. Stay strong and turn to Him! He's been there!



Go Yankees and MoTab! 
Who in the world gets to say they've been to a Yankees game on their mission with the Mormon tabernacle choir! This one does!! That game was so awesome. I just loved finally getting a taste of the City, the Bronx!! Oh I hope I serve there. The stadium is so cool, it overlooks the buildings. Baseball games have such a fun atmosphere even though I will admit I did not follow the game. Left a little early and had to ask who won. Haha Ops.... My brothers would be so ashamed.. I ran into Emily Taggart from my high school, which is crazy and Sister Nash :) I love her. As we left we got to shake Elder Rasband and Elder Smith's hands, who are of the seventy.


Emily Taggart from Cottonwood  and Kell 

So fun to see Sister Nash in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Yankee Stadium and the Choir

This weekend I was thinking a lot about the many Responsibilities we have as missionaries. I have seen the amazing opportunities that come from this service as well as the stressful times. Why are we given sometimes overwhelming responsibilities in life? That sometimes we wonder if we can even stretch that far. We can feel like so much is asked of us. I read a talk in my studies that was just what I needed/been praying about by Henry B. Eyring. "The more faithful service you give, the more the Lord asks of you. Your smile is a happy one because you know that He increases our power to carry the heavier load. The tough part of that reality, however, is that for Him to give you that increased power you must go in service and faith to your outer limits." (Exactly what this mission is--my outer limits) I do know that I have increased strength as a missionary. In testifying, in being away from home, in talking to people. I have felt it. It has been amazing. I also have felt the heavier load. So realizing the more responsibility there Is the more trust from God is comforting. Testing our limits is part of Gods plan to qualify His children to live with Him again forever. But remember!!! We can't do it all alone. At least I can't.... D & C 84:88-- And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up. 

On a different topic, We have a house problem here in Scarsdale. It's like the problem I had in Europe where I thought every streets was the cutest and most charming. Every house we pass is the cutest house and then the next one is too. Sister Gardner and I just dream of living in one of them when we move back to Scarsdale. Haha **me day dreaming in the car* Seriously though, they are beautiful. This is a members home with a fifteen year old girl that came tracting with us. Her mom told us she wants to go on a mission now too! How cool 

The problem here is I guess a lot of the mom's in the ward go out of town, some to Utah for half the summer and the husbands stay and work. This means it's harder to bring people with us and church is not as full. I'm getting more familiar with the members here. We get fed lots, at least this week we did. So many hot dogs and barbecues,  it's great!

We are going into the city today and to the Manhattan temple!! I'm really looking forward to it because I just really need it. A little slice of heaven. Time for peace and perspective. So that will be great! 

Love you all, thank you for the emails and letters. Have a fantastic week!





No comments:

Post a Comment