July 22, 2015

ValHOLLA

Me and beautiful Ava



Hello wonderful people, 

Last night I couldn't fall asleep I just kept thinking about how much I love Scarsdale. I love nights like those. I think it was because we had such a great night that and will tell you a little about it later on. It's so cool how the example of some people can have such an impact on you. Also, I love driving around here. It's my favorite to drive Bronx River Parkway to get from town to town because of all the trees, it's just so green here!! There are really charming parts with cute little shops and restaurants. I could absolutely live here! Who knows??! A couple of people in this ward served here and made their way back.

Our ward is about dead in numbers. Everyone is in Utah!! What's so cool about Utah!?? 
They say in August there are even fewer people..sad! I loved something that was taught in RS this week. It was about love in the family and in life. To be "ANCHORED IN LOVE". Love is truly the essence of the gospel. As we learn more about Jesus Christ by serving Him we will know the way we need to love people. Have you ever loved something SO much It has just filled you? I have with many, many things. Heavenly Father's love at times in my life has completely filled me. With that love we need to share it. We went and talked to a few people this week that have experienced that love and it has changed the way one lady treats everyone. God's loves really does change the heart. 

So last night, we finally got to have dinner with the Mortensen family who play roles in the church videos. They are a beautiful family, but as we had dinner with Sister Mortensen, Lucy, Sara, and Meg, I just wanted whatever they had in their house. They are each just so pure and kind. They kept saying, "Meg... Your cute and sweet... Sara, you're cute and sweet. No you're cute and sweet" They are very good at expressing their love. We actually talked about John 14:21 which is about keeping commandments because we love Him. Well, they are definately inspiring! 

There is a quote about missionary work. it might be the truest quote I've read and I think it is my favorite right now.... "I have often said one of the greatest secrets of missionary work is work! If a missionary works, he will get the Spirit; if he gets the Spirit, he will teach by the Spirit; and if he teaches by the Spirit, he will touch the hearts of the people and he will be happy. There will be no homesickness, no worrying about families, for all time and talents and interests are centered on the work of the ministry. Work, work, work-- there is no satisfactory substitute, especially in missionary work." 

Saturday we tracked in Valhala. It was hot and we were melting even through it was pouring that morning. NY's weather is odd. It was earlier in the day and we knocked on many many doors. I was so motivated and just wanted to keep going. I felt so much more confident and bold as we talked to people. I just loved the feeling I had and I was excited to share a message with each door, not caring what other's thought. I didn't say that every door approach was perfect, but that doesn't matter. I think the Lord looks at your heart and sees your desire. We actually turned out to have a lot more success than the time we came to this area before and no one was home. It was just a feeling I want to have my whole mission. A man even went and got us some water he probably thought poor girls.. Haha ew. I just know when we work hard we have a very different experience than when we just go through the motions. We forget others and lose ourselves. I have been studying more on Jesus Christ in the mornings and that makes a difference because just putting him the center of the work makes you want to do it for different reasons.
I just think working hard while you're out here is the most important to not get home sick and sometimes, truthfully, it's hard to actually get started because Satan works hard hard on the good Ol Saints! 

The Lanier's are still doing great! We heart attacked their door this week and continue to show them we love them because we really really do. When investigators ask me about my family I whip out my pictures because my family is just so great. I always tell Sister Gardner they are all wayy cooler than I am. Also, we found a referral this week. We got a call from Taiwan about a girl that was moving to New York so we met her this week!! Vicky Chen!! She is Asian and so cute. She actually is going to other missionaries though. We are still trying to find more people to teach! Other things we did. We finished the project buildings. There is a brand new, nice building being built right now, so hopefully it will open up soon. It will smell so much better, yay! 

Another thing I learned. BE HUMBLE when you learn new things about yourself. I think we all have discovered something maybe not so great that we need to work on and I feel like it's so good to not harden our hearts but just accept it and work on it. This is what being trained is teaching me :) Again, Sister Gardner and I are put together for a reason and I am so grateful for her and the things we learn from each other. 

Today for Pday: Trader Joes. :):):) They have these chocolate cat cookies we snacked on all week and Sister Gardner was obsessed. Each week we have a new Trader Joe's fav. I love you mom for having that motherly intuition and sending the good stuff. That reminds me, Jessica, also known as "Chef Jess" is a new convert and has us over every week. She is a hoot. She gives all the missionaries spirit animals and mine is a cat... Ya, I don't know, gross! This is her reasoning... cat's are confident and don't need to be the center of attention.  I took it as a compliment. Sister Gardner was pretty jealous!;)

It was a great week. I hope you all know how much I love you. I may say it each week, but I mean it and thinking of each of you during the week reminds me that I have so much support. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Madi and Austin this week!! You two are the bomb! 

Love, Sister Vassau 

No comments:

Post a Comment